Thursday 20 December 2018

Road Racing Heroes - Joey Dunlop

I was thinking about adding a post with some of my road racing photos on it and was wondering where to start. In reality, there is only one place to start and that is with the undisputed king of road racing, Joey Dunlop. I remember seeing him race when we started going to Skerries in the early 80s and he was definitely the one who was talked about for days and weeks afterwards.


My favourite photo of Joey was taken on the morning of the Skerries Road Races in 1989, I think it was shortly after he got the works Honda ride for the F1 championship. I was taking a few shots of the bikes and didn't recognise him as he walked over. I asked if he'd pose for a photo and got a typical Joey response "Ach surely, but hurry up. I don't want my friends to see me dressed like this!". It must have been a condition of his contract with Honda that he had to be 'presentable' for any media briefings. He said he was just back from doing a couple of interviews. 
It was the first shot that I ever took of him and has turned out to be the most enduring.









Click on the Fallen Heroes link at the top of the blog if you would like to see some of the other tribute posts that I've posted.






Next up I have some shots that were taken at the 1991 Skerries Road Races



































Some shots from the 1993 Skerries Road Races































Followed by a single image from the 1993 Killalane Road Races


























And finished off with a few shots from the 1993 Dundalk Road Races




2 comments:

  1. Those were the days Joey was the man you had to beat in them days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return. motorcycle adventure tours

    ReplyDelete